Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Peter Rawstron


Why do you host this karaoke jam? It's a long story but I'll try and shorten it up.. I'm a musician. I went to school for music. I enjoy sharing the gift of music with people. It's hard to get paid for it these days though. So I got in touch with a buddy of mine who probably has one of the largest collections of karaoke in the country and I said, 'Look I want to get in on this. I want to keep going around doing music. I like to sing. I like to perform. Please give me a chance to go out and do that.' You see this as a performance? I do. Everyone else is performing but I'm up there too. You join in. I join in and kind of joke around with people from time to time. What do you think about the singing? What is it about that karaoke quality? It seems like most people can't sing, right? No, I agree. That's why I laugh when you say that. You get some people that are amazing. They get up there and sing opera and bring the house down and everyone will stop. Then you get people who are just really into it, really enthusiastic and excited about what they're doing. They're the people who don't have that personal filter, that inhibition. They're just gone. There were a couple people here tonight like that. They'll get up there and sing their hearts out no matter how good they are or how bad they are. They're up there having a good time being silly or not being silly singing their favorite tunes. That makes it a performance. Sure. An example of that would be Gabe. I love the kid. He's not a great singer. But he can perform. He can make a whole crowd get up and sing. He may be the most awkward person in the bar yet he can get any girl to get up and dance with him. Just watch him on any night. What do you think it is about him that does that? It's that letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment